[Dnsmasq-discuss] Problem when WinXP firewall is activated (does not reply to ping)

Rune Kock rune.kock at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 16:59:20 GMT 2006

On 12/1/06, Raphaël HUCK <raphael.huck at efixo.com> wrote:
> There is a problem when the firewall of Windows XP is activated, as it
> does not reply to ping, and dnsmasq checks with ping whether an IP
> address is already attributed before giving it to someone.
>
> As Windows XP doesn't reply to ping when its firewall is activated,
> dnsmasq thinks the address isn't in use, and gives it to someone else.

Back in July, when I asked about using arping rather than ping, Simon replied:

>Interestingly DHCP clients do the address-in-use check too, and since
>the client only needs to check the local network, it does use ARP.

As I understand it, the client should try an arping before using the
address it has been given by the server.

The interesting question is whether WinXP actually implements this
arping.  If Windows follows the specification on this, there should be
no point in the server using arping.

Rune