[Dnsmasq-discuss] Problem when WinXP firewall is activated (does not reply to ping)

Raphaël HUCK raphael.huck at efixo.com
Fri Dec 1 17:10:28 GMT 2006

> As I understand it, the client should try an arping before using the
> address it has been given by the server.
>
> The interesting question is whether WinXP actually implements this
> arping.  If Windows follows the specification on this, there should be
> no point in the server using arping.

I'm going to check if WinXP does the arping check.

But the other problem with a SOHO including a DHCP server is that a SOHO
is often rebooted (because the user changed settings which require a
reboot, because of a power failure,...).

So each time it reboots, the lease file is cleared.

I have the issue only in this case: the SOHO reboots, the WinXP PC
(firewall enabled) has 192.168.1.20, the Linux PC also has 192.168.1.20,
and in the lease file of dnsmasq, 192.168.1.20 corresponds to the MAC
address of the WinXP PC.

--Raphael