[Dnsmasq-discuss] Problem when WinXP firewall is activated (does not reply to ping)

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Dec 1 17:46:57 GMT 2006

Raphaël HUCK wrote:
>>As I understand it, the client should try an arping before using the
>>address it has been given by the server.
>>
>>The interesting question is whether WinXP actually implements this
>>arping.  If Windows follows the specification on this, there should be
>>no point in the server using arping.
>

> I'm going to check if WinXP does the arping check.
>
> But the other problem with a SOHO including a DHCP server is that a SOHO
> is often rebooted (because the user changed settings which require a
> reboot, because of a power failure,...).
>
> So each time it reboots, the lease file is cleared.

Which is a bug in the SOHO. Assuming by SOHO you mean WRT-54G-class
stuff, then you might like to consider moving to DD-WRT. I worked with
them to add hooks into dnsmasq so that the lease file can be stored in
the non-volatile RAM and not trashed on a reboot. You might also like to
consider asking the developers of your current firmware to implement the
same thing.

> I have the issue only in this case: the SOHO reboots, the WinXP PC
> (firewall enabled) has 192.168.1.20, the Linux PC also has 192.168.1.20,
> and in the lease file of dnsmasq, 192.168.1.20 corresponds to the MAC
> address of the WinXP PC.

That does look like WinXP might be broken: I'd be interested in the
results of your tests.