[Dnsmasq-discuss] ipconfig /registerdns and split DNS

Rune Kock rune.kock at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 15:44:08 GMT 2006

> I must say that I am very impressed with the features of dnsmasq.

I absolutely agree.

> ***HOWEVER***, the "ipconfig /registerdns" command does NOT seem to work

Microsoft has made proprietary extensions so that the members of an
active directory domain can register in DNS in a secure way.  The
point is that no unauthorized computer should be able to pretend being
a domain controller or another server.

As far as I know, only Microsoft's own DNS-server (part of Windows
Server) implements these extensions.

So without a Microsoft DNS-server, I would suggest that all your
servers are registered by hand in the DNS.  Of course, if you 100%
trust every machine on your LAN, that should not be an issue.

Anyway, you can of course use Dnsmasq to register the machines as they
acquire an IP by DHCP, but I guess you already know that.

Rune