[Dnsmasq-discuss] ipconfig /registerdns and split DNS

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Mon Dec 11 07:58:20 GMT 2006

On Friday 08 December 2006 09:44, Rune Kock wrote:
> > ***HOWEVER***, the "ipconfig /registerdns" command does NOT seem to
> > work
>
> Microsoft has made proprietary extensions so that the members of an
> active directory domain can register in DNS in a secure way.  The

I don't know Windows much (does anyone??) but I think this is their
implementation of RFC's 2136 and 3007. I know that on my ISC named,
there's one Win2K client which is being logged as it attempts to
register itself in DNS. I presume the ISC named wouldn't see /
understand this if it was being done using some proprietary method.

I wouldn't expect dnsmasq to implement these RFC's. If it did, we'd
find our beloved dnsmasq was as complex and difficult as ISC dhcpd +
BIND. :)

Hey, I *like* ISC. But I also like ... hearing fingernails on
chalkboards![1] ;) Seriously, the ISC solution has its place, and
dnsmasq occupies a different niche. I think it should stay that way.

[1] With apologies to Chuck Barris and his horrible/wonderful "The Gong
Show." Apologies also to anyone [un]fortunate enough to remember it. :)