[Dnsmasq-discuss] NOtice

Philippe Faure philippe at faure.ca
Tue Feb 20 13:37:11 GMT 2007

I was trying to get access to my interanl PC from the dnsmasq server.
the /etc/resolv.conf file had:
nameserver 192.168.0.200   #Internet router
nameserver 192.168.0.1     #DNSMASQ server

I would try to ping the name of an internal PC  (name was found in the
dnsmasq.leases file).  Each time I would ge ta time out stating that the
server couldn't find that PC.

I then changed the order of the /et/resolv.conf file and put it'self first
and the upstream dns server second.
the /etc/resolv.conf file hads
nameserver 192.168.0.1     #DNSMASQ server
nameserver 192.168.0.200   #Internet router

I believe that what was happeneing twas that the dnsmasq server would try
the internet router for an IP addresss of internal PC's, fail and then not
try to next name server. I don't know why.

I thought that it should be mentioned here.

Philippe