[Dnsmasq-discuss] behaviour with non-recursive servers

Peter Warasin peter at endian.it
Wed Feb 21 18:27:51 GMT 2007

hi

In some circumstances i have very strange behaviour if there are
non-recursive upstream domain servers in the game. (for example if a
second uplink will be enabled if the main uplink fails)

If a non-recursive upstream dns is in the list of upstream nameservers
and is used, dnsmasq does not acknowledge it as "faulty" nameserver and
uses the next one in the list, but returns domain not found, which then
breaks things if one has a misconfigured system.

I am wondering why this is implemented this way. Is this only to let the
user know about the misconfiguration, or is there another cause? I have
seen that this has been changed back in 2005.
It is safe to patch process_reply() in order to make it cause an error
on non-recursive upstream nameservers? What you think?

thank you for a great product!

peter

--
:: e n d i a n