[Dnsmasq-discuss] Two instances of Dnsmasq on one VPN network

J Silverman g1powermac at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 16:17:01 BST 2007

Hi All,

Here's my situation:  I have two Openwrt running routers that have a openvpn bridged network setup between them.  Both routers also have dnsmasq running on them, which seems to create some problems.  I have it set that each dnsmasq has a separate IP range so I don't get duplicate IPs on the network.  However, from what I can tell, a race condition seems to happen between the two dnsmasq instances.  Every so often, a computer hooked up to the one router will get an IP address (and default gateway info) from the other router running dnsmasq.  This causes issues with the VPN network since that computer will now route all its traffic to the remote router and internet connection.  So basically, I want to have each instance of dnsmasq only service the local lan and not over the VPN bridge.  Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,
J Silverman