[Dnsmasq-discuss] Source modification for known suffixes

Antonio González Artime patxungo83 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 3 15:55:45 GMT 2008

> Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 13:43:11 +0000
> From: simon at thekelleys.org.uk
> To: jima at beer.tclug.org
> CC: patxungo83 at hotmail.com; dnsmasq-discuss at lists.thekelleys.org.uk
> Subject: Re: [Dnsmasq-discuss] Source modification for known suffixes
>
> Jima wrote:
>> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Antonio González Artime wrote:
>>> When a DNS query ends with, for example, .p2p (www.thankyou.p2p),
>>> dnsmasq should answer with "localhost" and a specific port. I'm not
>>> sure what is the best place in the code to make the change...
>>> ¿forward.c rfc1035.c? I would appreciate your help. Thank you,
>>
>>  Not to burst your bubble, but could you enlighten me with what RFC
>> outlines DNS A records containing port numbers? :-)
>>  Port numbers aren't really a part of DNS;
>
> For interest and completeness sake, SRV records (RFC 2782) do contain
> port numbers. They're a great idea in theory, but very few people
> use/support them, and they're not likely to be the solution for the OP.
>

>> I suspect that you'll need to
>> use a mix of DNS hackery and routing (iptables?) to fulfill your goal.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon.

Thank you for your answers. Jima, your solution works exactly how i want and it couldn't be easier to do. I'm not an expert in RFC's or DNS protocol, but looking dnsmasq's code I realized that redirection to a specific port probably couldn't be solved easily editing source. Simon, congrats for dnsmasq and thank you too. You've been immensely aid me.

Cheers!

Antonio