[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq hogging the cpu all of a sudden

Sue & Bruce Horsburgh suebruce at exemail.com.au
Tue Jan 8 11:54:46 GMT 2008

Folks,

I've been running a Ubuntu server in a fairly simple home system (4
windows & 1 linux client) using dnsmasq for about a year. It's been
exactly what I needed and totally stable. I upgraded it a little while
back to the then latest ubuntu release (7.04?) which includes dnsmasq
version 2.37. Still well and good. I haven't touched it since them (as
all good servers should be).

A couple of weeks ago, I lost internet access, and I traced it back to
dnsmasq not answering DNS requests. What's more, it had started using
100% cpu. A restart fixed the problem, and I just put it down to stray
cosmic rays... :-) However, it's happening every few days now. The
syslog files give no indication of anything out if the ordinary. The
dhcp server continues to renew leases whilst it's refusing DNS requests,
so it's not entirely dead.

Two questions. Is there a way I can get more information out of it as to
what might be going wrong (ie some way to increase the verbosity of log
messages)? Secondly, (and I'll apologise in advance for the dumb
question, but) I know that you have released new versions, but ubuntu
hasn't included them in their release list so it isn't a simple matter
of 'apt-get install'. Bearing in mind that this is my 'production'
server (and if it dies then I can't access the internet to install
anything else), is there a safe way to upgrade? (I used to have a test
server, but sadly no longer).

Thanks

Bruce