[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNSMasq, DHCP, Shorewall, and Proxy Arp

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Feb 12 20:11:46 GMT 2008

Steve H. wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 February 2008 01:21:20 pm Simon Kelley wrote:
>
>>Note that in this scheme it's fine to have a more than one dhcp-host
>>line associated with (eg) a MAC address, allowing a host to have a fixed
>>  IP on each subnet which it might appear on. If dhcp-host lines trump
>>everything, then this facility is lost.
>>

> I just wanted to say Thank-you - this clarified the logic for me.  Also, I
> wanted to apologize if I appeared 'arguementative'.  It was not my intention.
> I guess I just like to debate (loudly? :-)  )

Debating is good, it's one of the things that makes Free Software great!

I tend to classify software behaviour into three classes: stuff which
works like that for a good reason, stuff which works like that for no
(or a bad) reason, but can't be changed because is would break existing
installs, and stuff which can and should be changed.

I think this stuff falls somewhere in the first two categories.

> And Thanks again for DNSMasq, it truly is a great tool :-)  In 5 years of
> daily operation, its never given me a lick of trouble :-)

Glad you like it!