[Dnsmasq-discuss] The simplest setup to preserve IPs

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Apr 2 09:20:10 BST 2008

Michal Sawicz wrote:
> Dnia 01-04-2008, Tue o godzinie 19:58 +0100, Simon Kelley pisze:
>> I think you are implying that your DHCP clients can turn up on more
>> than
>> one network: If so, don't use /etc/hosts at all, and do
>>
>> dhcp-host=somename,1.2.3.4
>> dhcp-host=somename,10.20.30.40
>
> On the contrary, I have only one network, but some of my machines have
> two (wifi and wired) interfaces. I want them to get the same IP (if it's
> free) every time, regardless of which interface they use to connect.

Ah, that's a different problem. The solution is to configure the host to
present the same client-id no matter which interface is in use.
client-ids trump MAC addresses as unique identifiers of hosts, so if the
 host always presents the same client-id then it will always get the
same address.

> But yes, the solution with dhcp-host=... works fine, I just have one
> minor issue - how can I create an alias for the hostname

That doable if you keep addresses in /etc/hosts

1.2.3.4 somehost somehost-alias

and

dhcp-host=somehost

in /etc/dnsmasq.conf

There's an argument for allowing something similar just using dhcp-host,
but it doesn't currently exist.