[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq and OpenDNS shortcuts

Nick Stenning nick at whiteink.com
Thu Apr 10 21:45:12 BST 2008

/me is an idiot and failed to copy in the list first time round...
here goes Mk II.

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Jima <jima at beer.tclug.org> wrote:

>  "server=//<opendns server ip>" ?

Hmm. This doesn't actually change anything, for a reason I've just
realised. Perhaps this is an insoluble problem. Because:

Setting domain=# in dnsmasq and having the local clients get their
domain from DHCP means (I think) that they will always interpret
dot-less names as being of the local domain, no matter what I try in
dnsmasq. That is:

On a local client:
$ host myshortcut
myshortcut.mydomain.com has address 1.2.3.4

...where 1.2.3.4 is the public IP of the dnsmasq box.

However:
$ host myshortcut. # Note the terminal dot.
myshortcut has address 208.69.34.132

... that's the OpenDNS server ...

So the only way I guess I can conceivably get around this is by not
setting the domain of my clients? I'd really rather not do that so if
anyone has any better ideas I'd be glad to hear them...

Thanks for the help anyway Jima!

-N