[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq and OpenDNS shortcuts

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Thu Apr 10 15:10:13 BST 2008

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, Nick Stenning wrote:
> So, to clarify. What I'd really like is for dnsmasq to resolve
> single-word domain names to the address of the server it's running on,
> but *only* if there's an appropriate entry with that name in
> /etc/hosts (or specified otherwise in the config file). Otherwise, I'd
> like it to pass the request on up to the OpenDNS servers.
>
> I've had a look through the list archive but can't find anything on
> this subject. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

"server=//<opendns server ip>" ?

  From the man page:

'An empty domain specification, // has the special meaning of "unqualified
names only" ie names without any dots in them.'

  The downside I'm seeing is that --server doesn't appear to allow multiple
upstream servers, so you could only direct it at one or the other of their
two.
  Mind, I haven't been able to figure out if this works the right way. :-|

      Jima