[Dnsmasq-discuss] uh, domain concats unwanted...

AJ Weber aweber at comcast.net
Thu May 1 16:34:05 BST 2008

OK, I'm looking thru my dnsmasq.conf, but can't justify why this is happening...nor how it's eventually coming-up with a valid IP address.

I think this has been happening for some-time now, but only recently started looking-into it, because I'm trying to add a "hosts blacklist" to the config.  To do this, I added the hosts-formatted file to "addn-hosts=" in the config file.

However, it didn't block an advert site on my first test, and so I did a nslookup from my laptop...this was the output...
Server:  broh.nnnnnn.com
Address:  192.168.1.128

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    view.atdmt.com.nnnnnn.com
Address:  208.67.217.132

The "nnnnnn.com" is set in my "domain=" option in my config.  However, as I read it, it should only be used to decorate simple names from the hosts-file.  Why is it being appended to FQDNs?  Furthermore, how the heck did that name then resolve from the upstream DNS server???

view.atdmt.com IS in the black-hole-hosts file that I added using addn-hosts, but again, it's a FQDN, so it shouldn't be getting the domain appended.

Can anyone help me explain where my config might be wrong?

Thanks!
-AJ