[Dnsmasq-discuss] uh, domain concats unwanted...

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Thu May 1 17:10:09 BST 2008

On Thu May 1 2008 10:34:05 AJ Weber wrote:
> OK, I'm looking thru my dnsmasq.conf, but can't justify why this is
> happening...nor how it's eventually coming-up with a valid IP
> address.

Valid?

> However, it didn't block an advert site on my first test, and so I
> did a nslookup from my laptop...this was the output...

Just Say No to nslookup. dig(1) is the preferred tool.

> Server:   broh.nnnnnn.com
> Address:  192.168.1.128
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    view.atdmt.com.nnnnnn.com
> Address:  208.67.217.132

132.217.67.208.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN   PTR     hit-nxdomain.opendns.com.

> The "nnnnnn.com" is set in my "domain=" option in my config.
> However, as I read it, it should only be used to decorate simple
> names from the hosts-file.  Why is it being appended to FQDNs?

Maybe broken or misconfigured system resolver? See, dig(1) will only
use DNS, and only with the name it is given (exception, see +search.)

> Furthermore, how the heck did that name then resolve from the
> upstream DNS server???

Um, maybe a broken upstream nameserver? [1]

> view.atdmt.com IS in the black-hole-hosts file that I added using

view.atdmt.com.         240     IN      A       206.16.21.31

> addn-hosts, but again, it's a FQDN, so it shouldn't be getting the
> domain appended.
>
> Can anyone help me explain where my config might be wrong?

Munging makes DNS problems especially difficult to ... resolve.

[1] I know this goes against the spirit of simplicity which is
    dnsmasq, but I always run my own named backend for recursion. It
    binds on port 35, which is used as such in dnsmasq.conf :
        server=127.0.0.1#35