[Dnsmasq-discuss] Help Req: Name server discovery

Alex Chekholko chekh at pcbi.upenn.edu
Sat May 31 19:12:08 BST 2008

gypsy wrote:
> Does anyone have suggestions for finding name servers?

There are some available public name servers you can query, such as the
ones provided by the OpenDNS folks.

> After spending all morning running dig, I'm frustrated.  For example, I
> stumbled across "orange.rr.com", which contains name servers for Time
> Warner Cable customers in Orange County California.  But I don't know
> what domain to use for TWC customers in Los Angeles County and I don't
> know how to find out except to ask for name resolution on every
> conceivable IP address in likely netblocks.

$ dig orange.rr.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.3rc2 <<>> orange.rr.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;orange.rr.com.                 IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
orange.rr.com.          86400   IN      A       24.28.193.1

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
orange.rr.com.          5375    IN      NS      dns-pri-01.orange.rr.com.
orange.rr.com.          5375    IN      NS      dns-sec-01.orange.rr.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
dns-sec-01.orange.rr.com. 1775  IN      A       66.75.160.38
dns-pri-01.orange.rr.com. 1775  IN      A       66.75.160.39

;; Query time: 74 msec
;; SERVER: 10.10.70.5#53(10.10.70.5)
;; WHEN: Sat May 31 14:05:08 2008
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 129

You can probably use 66.75.160.38,39 from LA, it's still very close on
the network.

> One might expect that a question posed to technical support or a search
> of TW's web site might prove productive, but "No Joy".

If you're on their network, you're using DHCP, and the appropriate name
servers get set automatically.

> If anyone can provide syntax /content for dig commands, or a script, or
> anything else helpful, please post.  I believe many people in this group
> would be interested.

I guess I don't understand what you're asking for, exactly.

Regards,
Alex