[Dnsmasq-discuss] IPv6 issue

Adam Hardy adam.ant at cyberspaceroad.com
Wed Jun 11 11:05:25 BST 2008

Jima on 10/06/08 14:31, wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Adam Hardy wrote:
>> My machine's IPv6 config seems to be up the creek.

>> adam at isengard:~$ sudo ping6  ::1
>> Password:
>> PING ::1(::1) 56 data bytes
>> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
>> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
>> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
>> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
>
>  Uhhh.  That doesn't look remotely DNS-related.  To be absolutely sure,
> though, try using the -n flag, which disables (reverse) DNS lookups.
>
> # ping6 -n ::1
>
>  That looks like firewalling is preventing the packets from being sent,
> to be honest.  I'd be looking more at something like:
>
> # ip6tables -L -n
>
>  Which is totally outside the scope of this mailing list, but I try to
> be helpful...oh, here:
>
> # ping6 -n ::1
> PING ::1(::1) 56 data bytes
> 64 bytes from ::1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.043 ms
> ^C
> # ip6tables -A OUTPUT -j REJECT
> # ping6 -n ::1
> PING ::1(::1) 56 data bytes
> ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted
> ^C
>
>  That's my theory.

Good theory - I hadn't realised that there is ip6tables. IPv6 is a big blind
spot for me - in all my playing around with iptables and searching for a
solution, I never once registered that I need ip6tables - although I see it now
under the iptables man page SEE ALSO.

And I see my machine has all chains set to DROP, so you're right.

Thanks alot.

Regards
Adam