[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS redundant queries to internet and extranet

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Jun 24 09:23:49 BST 2008

Arno Wald wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> thank you for the answer.
>
> Simon Kelley wrote:
>> The extra queries are for IPv6 addresses. Best to find a way to disable
>> IPv6 on your machine.
>
> I had never found this out on my own. I will try to disable ipv6.
>
> What I know is that you can disable IPv6 in KDE via an environment variable
>
> KDE_USE_IPV6="no" (SuSe)
> or
> KDE_NO_IPV6=TRUE   (Debian)
>
> As the behaviour occured while using konqueror, this might be enough. Or
> should it be better to switch off IPv6 at lower level somehow? (If so,
> how?)

I think, (not tested) that something like

alias ipv6 off

in /etc/modules.conf will stop the kernel offering IPv6 services - that
should stop everything. (you will need to reboot after changing the
file, and be careful in case your distro makes changes there -
/etc/modules.conf may be created from other files - read the comments at
the start.