[Dnsmasq-discuss] Naming dual homed computers

gypsy gypsy at iswest.com
Fri Nov 7 15:44:28 GMT 2008

I am looking for an RFC, HowTo or man page that answers the questions
herein.  If anyone can assist, please respond to the mailing list.

SCENARIO
There is a registered domain.  Let's call it 'my.tld'.

There are several computers that have 2 or more NICs, one of which faces
the internet ("WAN" hereafter) and the other faces the LAN.  A few names
are 'larry', 'moe', 'shep', 'curly', 'stan' and 'ollie'.

There is a boatload of computers that have only 1 NIC and all face the
LAN.  A few names are 'may', 'fay', 'ruth', 'mona', 'joe', 'jim', 'john'
and 'mike'.

All computers have static IP addresses.

All hosts files contain '127.0.0.1 localhost'

QUESTIONS
What is the LAN name (entry in /etc/hosts) of moe?  Why?
What, if any, entry in hosts should moe have for moe.my.tld?  Why?
What, if any, entry in hosts should moe have for fay?  Why?
What value should be in moe's /etc/resolv.conf for 'search'?  Why?
What value should be in moe's /etc/resolv.conf for 'domain'?  Why?

In what, if any, way should larry's hosts file differ from moe's?  Why?

What value should be in fay's /etc/resolv.conf for 'search'?  Why?
What value should be in fay's /etc/resolv.conf for 'domain'?  Why?
What, if any, entry/entries in hosts should fay have for moe?  Why?

If I've left out anything obvious, please point it out.
--
gypsy