[Dnsmasq-discuss] maximum number of "address" lines

Philippe Faure philippe at faure.ca
Thu Nov 27 02:50:48 GMT 2008

Hello,

I run a script that takes URLs that display adds, and point them to an
un-used Local IP address. for example:
address="/123banners.com/192.168.0.35"

All of these addresses are in one file which DNSMASQ reads at startup.
  I have noticed that the number of addresses in this file is now
really large. About 17000 redirections.

I have tried to start dnsmasq and it comes back with an error on line
13910. There was nothing different about line 13910, and 13909, except
for the different url.

I was wondering if DNSMASQ had an internal limit of the number of
redirects, or the size of input files, or anything else that would
cause a problem?

Here is what I found in syslog:
Nov 26 00:01:33 philserver dnsmasq[22070]: error at line 13910 of
/etc/hosts_to_block
Nov 26 00:01:33 philserver dnsmasq[22070]: FAILED to start up

There was nothing in dnsmasq.log file.

Philippe