[Dnsmasq-discuss] maximum number of "address" lines

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Nov 27 15:14:34 GMT 2008

Philippe Faure wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I run a script that takes URLs that display adds, and point them to an
> un-used Local IP address. for example:
> address="/123banners.com/192.168.0.35"
>
> All of these addresses are in one file which DNSMASQ reads at startup.
>  I have noticed that the number of addresses in this file is now really
> large. About 17000 redirections.
>
> I have tried to start dnsmasq and it comes back with an error on line
> 13910. There was nothing different about line 13910, and 13909, except
> for the different url.
>
> I was wondering if DNSMASQ had an internal limit of the number of
> redirects, or the size of input files, or anything else that would cause
> a problem?

There's no internal limit. Note that performance will be much worse than
with lines in /etc/hosts, so if you don't need the implied wildcard in
address=/domain/ lines and you have lots and lots of them, /etc/hosts is
a better place to put them.

> Here is what I found in syslog:
> Nov 26 00:01:33 philserver dnsmasq[22070]: error at line 13910 of
> /etc/hosts_to_block
> Nov 26 00:01:33 philserver dnsmasq[22070]: FAILED to start up

The only syntax problem that's not blindingly obvious would be an
illegal character in the the domain: the legal ones are
A-Z a-z 0-9 - / _

> There was nothing in dnsmasq.log file.

That's expected: logging doesn't go there until after the configuration
has been read.