[Dnsmasq-discuss] Web hang ups after repeated access to one site - dnsmasq related?

RevRagnarok DNSMasq at RevRagnarok.com
Fri Feb 13 15:11:10 GMT 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> The problem is specific to my desktop machine (the xubuntu one) which
> is the one which is running dnsmasq.  When a web site is hung on my
> machine it's perfectly accessible from browsers on other machines on
> the same subnet/LAN and using the same router.  However IE within a
> virtual machine on my machine *can't* access the hung web site.

I'm a little confused here. dnsmasq is more for servers than desktops. Of
course, you can run it where you like, but it looks like you have your
desktop acting as a DHCP server, possibly to itself. Or do you ensure the
machine is on all the time the other machines on the network need an IP? You
won't get any benefit (that I can think of) running dnsmasq on a stand-alone
desktop. The OS will cache DNS lookups very similarly on its own.

I think it may be causing your problem if your DHCP expires and is trying to
renew and is in a weird loop because they're the same machine. That would
look like "web surfing" problems to most people; have you tried other
network connections when the lockups occur? How about ifconfig's output?

Aaron