[Dnsmasq-discuss] Web hang ups after repeated access to one site - dnsmasq related?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Fri Feb 13 16:50:30 GMT 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:11:10AM -0500, RevRagnarok wrote:
>    On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Chris G <[1]cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>
>      The problem is specific to my desktop machine (the xubuntu one) which
>      is the one which is running dnsmasq.  When a web site is hung on my
>      machine it's perfectly accessible from browsers on other machines on
>      the same subnet/LAN and using the same router.  However IE within a
>      virtual machine on my machine *can't* access the hung web site.
>
>    I'm a little confused here. dnsmasq is more for servers than desktops. Of
>    course, you can run it where you like, but it looks like you have your
>    desktop acting as a DHCP server, possibly to itself. Or do you ensure the
>    machine is on all the time the other machines on the network need an IP?
>    You won't get any benefit (that I can think of) running dnsmasq on a
>    stand-alone desktop. The OS will cache DNS lookups very similarly on its
>    own.

Yes, my 'desktop' machine is left turned on all the time and acts as a
server for the other machines (and devices) on our LAN.  I've put
dnsmasq on it to provide DNS and DHCP so that all machine/devices on
the network can be referred to by name without giving them static IP
addresses and putting them in /etc/hosts everywhere.  It's also a web
server for a few bits and pieces and has ssh access from the outside
world.

>    I think it may be causing your problem if your DHCP expires and is trying
>    to renew and is in a weird loop because they're the same machine. That
>    would look like "web surfing" problems to most people; have you tried
>    other network connections when the lockups occur? How about ifconfig's
>    output?

Note it's only one site that locks up usually, sites on other tabs in
the same browser continue to work fine.  I also have ssh to outside
sites which continues to work OK.

--
Chris Green