[Dnsmasq-discuss] extension of configuration files

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 23:20:39 BST 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Carlos Carvalho<carlos at fisica.ufpr.br> wrote:
> Simon Kelley (simon at thekelleys.org.uk) wrote on 5 July 2009 16:41:
>  >I guess the problem is knowing _which_ files should be ignored ( how
>  >many conventions are there?) and not ignoring files which someone,
>  >somewhere, thinks are perfectly OK and should be used.
>
> That's clearly impossible. If you decide to do it there are only two
> possibilities: define the (only) extension in dnsmasq, or do it like
> apache, as Michael says. I think the later is too much bloat. I'd
> rather not have any exclusion but since you ruled this out we're left
> with the first alternative.
>
> What about just leaving it as it's now? :-)

How about a compromise -- not a full wildcard syntax, but a
user-controlled literal suffix match?  e.g.

conf-dir-suffix=.conf

Or you could let other programs do the heavy lifting and have a
just-in-time config command whose output is processed.  Dangerous
because it has to be run before forking as nobody, but very powerful:

jit-config=/bin/sh -c "cat /etc/conf.d/dnsmasq/*.conf"