[Dnsmasq-discuss] Hooking up dnsmasq with the Samba 4 AD

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 07:45:15 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Kai Blin <kai at samba.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> in order to be a fully functional Active Directory domain controller, Samba 4
> needs to make sure a couple of specific ressource records exist in DNS.
> Currently we require that our users fix up their DNS manually. While trying
> to make this more comfortable, one of the ways to do this would be to add an
> Active Directory backend to a DNS server. I was wondering if there was any
> possibility in getting a backend like this merged into the official dnsmasq
> source.

I'm sure Simon will reply very soon, but maybe if you could provide
the following information at a very high level it would help find the
most user-friendly and maintainable method for supporting samba:

What new features are required?
- Support for new record types? (list types)
- Support for local lookups of record types currently only forwarded?
(list types)
- Support for programmatic add/update of local records? (is DBus sufficient?)
- Support for true dynamic (per request in real-time) responses?

How do you propose implementing these?
- Add to dnsmasq daemon code?  new config-file entries?  new DBus commands?
- Have samba make DBus calls to update local zones?
- Add separate scripts for using DBus to update local zones?