[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq.leases

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sun Jan 31 09:57:40 GMT 2010

Adam Hardy wrote:
> I'm worried I might have still got a glitch in my dnsmasq config.
>
> I have a new print server which gets its ip via dhcp from dnsmasq, and it is
> duly registered in dnsmasq.leases.
>
> However about 1/2 hour to an hour later, the dnsmasq.leases entry for it
> vanished. I can't ping it via its hostname anymore but I can ping it via its ip
> address that it got from dnsmasq.
>
> It sounds to me as if the print server is acting strangely but could there be
> something in dnsmasq that is causing this problem?
>
> Can I configure any useful dhcp-option to encourage it to act normal?

I've come across devices like this that just don't do lease renewal.
They get a DHCP lease for whatever time the server gives them, but don't
actually renew it. When the lease-time expires, the hostname disappears.

The fix is to tell the dnsmasq DHCP server to give that device an
infinite lease.

dhcp-host=<MAC address>,infinite

should do the trick.