[Dnsmasq-discuss] Help Translating DNSMasq options for NetBoot Mac

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Feb 2 09:43:58 GMT 2010

Max Turkewitz wrote:
> Simon,
> Just tried it with 2.52, and the apple-boot configuration

> dhcp-vendorclass=apple-boot,"APPLBSDPC/i386"
As our esteemed colleagues have pointed out, this looks like a typo:
s/APP/AAP/.

 From the evidence of the the logs you sent, none of the dhcp-options
need to be "dhcp-option-force", since the client is requesting them all.

> dhcp-option-force=apple-boot,43,08:04:81:00:00:67
Assuming fixing the typo gets you the "apple-boot" tag, try changing this to

dhcp-option=vendor:AAPLBSDPC/i386,8,81:00:00:67

And let dnsmasq do the vendor encapsulation. You should end up with the
same data sent, but it's clearer what's happening.

> dhcp-option-force=apple-boot,60,"AAPLBSDPC/i386"
As an experiment, omit this. the result will be that dnsmasq echoes back
the vendor-class which the client sent, "AAPLBSDPC/i386/MacBook5,1" That
may be OK for Apple, it may not be, but worth a try.

> dhcp-option-force=apple-boot,17,"nfs:192.168.33.1:/var/lib/tftpboot:Diag106NetBoot.nbi/NetBoot.dmg"
> dhcp-option-force=apple-boot,67,"Diag106NetBoot.nbi/i386/booter"
>

 > Any thoughts?  I could remove the quotes from the vendor class and
try                               > again.

It'll make no difference. The quotes will be stripped, if they're there
but they are not needed as the string doesn't include any
meta-characters. Safer to have the quotes.

 >  Do I need to do anything special to indicate that
 > APPLBSDPC/i386 is only the beginning of the vendor class?

No, dhcp-vendorclass will match as long as the match string is a
substring of the actual vendor-class string.

HTH