[Dnsmasq-discuss] Add address file option

Don Muller don at djmuller.com
Fri Mar 5 20:18:40 GMT 2010

I agree. Many organizations, if they follow any kind of change or problem
management, will not allow a restart of DNS without the proper 'paperwork'
and they will probably never allow a restart during busy times. However a
refresh (or reload) is a different matter. That would probably be allowed
since it is a function of an already running task.

> If one can avoid that, he will avoid that.
>
> To really make the "restart will be fine"-option workable, dnsmasq
> needs some
> kind of "continuous service"-feature. Which means: Implement a special
> take-over
> restart.
> The old dnsmasq gets signaled by a socket somewhere in /var/run that a
> new
> instance is starting, it will finish it's in flight actions, but not
> start new
> actions and than pass "important" fd's over the socket to the new
> dnsmasq
> instance when it signals "all systems go". This way no packet is lost
> and
> service is not disrupted by a restart.
> (And this doesn't work if the admin changes something on listen-
> address,
> interface, except-interface, bind-interfaces...)
>
> And that is overkill for dnsmasq, you do something like that if you do
> not want
> to drop VoIP-calls or something like that, so back to the "avoid
> restart" scheme...

I think this is over kill.