[Dnsmasq-discuss] Add address file option

Perette Barella perette at barella.org
Fri Mar 5 23:43:13 GMT 2010

On 2010年03月05日, at 12:16, Jan 'RedBully' Seiffert wrote:
> And there is always the risk the new dnsmasq will not come up, because you made
> a silly typo in the config, or something like that. Depending on how fast you
> can rectify the situation, now you have a real window where you are without name
> resolution.
> If one can avoid that, he will avoid that.

A partial/compromise solution: what about a command-line option to "Read the options and configuration file, report any errors, and exit," like the -n option to the shells.  I realize it doesn't address 100% of everything desired, but it does allow you to check the config file syntax before proceeding to a restart.  And it's a lot easier to get the error messages from the command line, rather than having to dig them up in a log file when dnsmasq is spawned from init, inetd, or launchd. (Or is there already such an option?)

As far as coming up with a way to handle restarting dnsmasq without hiccups... I tend to agree with Brad... if you need 100% uptime, a better solution is a secondary DNS server rather than complexifying the heck out of dnsmasq.

Perette