[Dnsmasq-discuss] Dynamic DNS

Alberto Cuesta-Canada alberto.cuesta at excelian.com
Mon Jun 28 16:10:09 BST 2010

Hi guys,

thanks for all your previous comments, I've kept studying the issue so I can explain it a bit better now:

1) I just want to use AD in my machines, where I manage DNS and DHCP (and PXE!) with dnsmasq.

2) AD requires to preferably "support the service (SRV) resource record type and the dynamic update protocol, as described in the RFC 2136" [http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc759550(WS.10).aspx], this seemingly is used to insert a few dozen records when installing AD, and there is documentation on the internet on how to use bind instead of the windows dns service.

3) It is possible also to do it manually, which keeps my hopes of using dnsmasq for it alive: "At the very least, the DNS server must support the SRV resource record; but the SRV resource records can be added to DNS manually. After installing Active Directory, these records can be found on the domain controller in the following location: systemroot\System32\Config\Netlogon.dns."

So my question should have been: Is RFC2136 supported or in the roadmap? (And a "no" for an answer is perfectly understood, the simplicity of dnsmasq is something to be safeguarded).

Cheers,

Alberto Cuesta-Canada
GaaS Team Lead
Excelian Ltd.
+44 (0) 7942633361

The information contained in this email and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). The email may be legally privileged or prohibited from disclosure and unauthorised use. If you are not the named addressee you may not use, copy, or disclose this information to any other person. If you received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.

Any opinion or views contained in this email message are those of the sender, and do not represent those of the Company in any way and reliance should not be placed upon its contents. Unless otherwise stated, this email message is not intended to be contractually binding. Where an Agreement exists between our respective companies and there is conflict between the contents of this email message and the Agreement then the terms of that Agreement shall prevail.

Excelian
50 Featherstone Street
London
EC1Y 8RT
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7336 9595
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7336 9596
www.Excelian.com
This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by MessageLabs. For further information visit http://www.messagelabs.com

Excelian subscribes to cleaner and greener methods of working. Help take responsibility for the environment. Please don't print this email unless you absolutely have to.