[Dnsmasq-discuss] Stateless DHCPv6 Server

Bill C Riemers briemers at redhat.com
Thu Jul 1 14:01:25 BST 2010

On 30/06/10 05:37 PM, Simon Kelley wrote:
> François-Xavier Le Bail wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> In a Dual Stack (IPv4/IPv6) Internet Home Gateway, the IPv6 addreses
>> on the LAN can be configured by SLAAC, so no absolute need for a
>> statefull DHCPv6 server.

Excuse the question if it is obvious, but I'm new to using IPv6.   What
is SLAAC?   Is that something that would be available for routers using
open firmware such as DD-WRT?   The reason I ask is I have been trying
to determine a way to issue IPv6 addresses from my router, but I have
yet to determine a way.   To me using IPv6 is just one extra level of
security, since it is not wide enough spread for hackers to have
scripted to try NFS mount and such using IPv6 addresses.

Bill