[Dnsmasq-discuss] Stateless DHCPv6 Server

François-Xavier Le Bail fx.lebail at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 1 15:32:27 BST 2010

Bill C Riemers <briemers at redhat.com> wrote:
>> François-Xavier Le Bail wrote:
>>> In a Dual Stack (IPv4/IPv6) Internet Home Gateway,
>>> the IPv6 addreses on the LAN can be configured by SLAAC, so no
>>> absolute need for a statefull DHCPv6 server.

> Excuse the question if it is obvious, but I'm new to using
> IPv6.   What is SLAAC?

SLAAC means "StateLess Address Auto Configuration", see RFC 4862.
The stateless mechanism allows a host to generate its own addresses using a combination of locally available information and information advertised by routers.

> Is that something that would be available for routers using
> open firmware such as DD-WRT?

In Linux world, the "radvd" daemon (http://www.litech.org/radvd/) is often used for router advertisement.
[...]
> Bill