[Dnsmasq-discuss] Single-file config

Johan Vromans jvromans at squirrel.nl
Sat Jul 3 13:23:54 BST 2010

I'm experimenting with dnsmasq to build a very simple DNS/DHCP server.
I'm going to employ this server on a FritzBox DSL modem/router and
some other small systems as well.

Currently there are two things that do not yet work as I want.

First, it would be nice if I could specify the complete configuration
in a single file. This makes maintenance and distribution much easier.
Currently, I can specify everything in the dnsmasq.conf file except
for the DNS host names. These seem to require an external file
formatted as hosts(5). Is that correct or am I overlooking some
trivial setting?

Second, All known hosts in the network are DHCP clients with fixed
adresses. These are specified in the dhcp portion of the config file.
E.g.:

  dhcp-host=00:50:56:00:00:01,mirage.squirrel.nl,192.168.1.127,infinite

However, it seems that the host name and address must also be
specified in the hosts file for DNS to work. Is that correct or am I,
again, overlooking some trivial setting?

Thanks for the nice tool,

-- Johan