[Dnsmasq-discuss] Single-file config

Sergei Zhirikov sfzhi at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 4 09:05:41 BST 2010

On 2010-07-03 14:23, Johan Vromans wrote:
> I'm experimenting with dnsmasq to build a very simple DNS/DHCP server.
> I'm going to employ this server on a FritzBox DSL modem/router and
> some other small systems as well.
>
> Currently there are two things that do not yet work as I want.
>
> First, it would be nice if I could specify the complete configuration
> in a single file. This makes maintenance and distribution much easier.
> Currently, I can specify everything in the dnsmasq.conf file except
> for the DNS host names. These seem to require an external file
> formatted as hosts(5). Is that correct or am I overlooking some
> trivial setting?

It's not a requirement. There is "no-hosts" configuration option.

> Second, All known hosts in the network are DHCP clients with fixed
> adresses. These are specified in the dhcp portion of the config file.
> E.g.:
>
>    dhcp-host=00:50:56:00:00:01,mirage.squirrel.nl,192.168.1.127,infinite
>
> However, it seems that the host name and address must also be
> specified in the hosts file for DNS to work. Is that correct or am I,
> again, overlooking some trivial setting?

If you have all the hosts names and IP addresses specified using "dhcp-host" then you don't need the hosts file. But you should use simple host names in "dhcp-host" rather than FQDN, and use "domain" option to specify the domain name.