[Dnsmasq-discuss] Mutliple Subnets - Different Servers - Chaining

Lord_Devi lorddevi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 03:57:37 BST 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 18:55 -0500, richardvoigt at gmail.com wrote:

> If you visit http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/ you will see that dnsmasq
> is not a relay, but there is a separate program dhcp-helper from the
> same author to act as a relay.
>
> dnsmasq's dhcp server supports issuing addresses both directly and
> indirectly (via a relay).  For direct dhcp, it will find the ip
> address assigned to the interface where the request came in and give
> out an address from a dhcp-pool in the same block (defined by the
> subnet mask).  For indirect dhcp, the relay tells dnsmasq the address
> of the interface where the request was received, all you have to do is
> configure a dhcp-pool in the same block as the relay's interface which
> faces toward the clients.
>
> Hope this helps.

Oh yes ok this does help a bit. I found a thread in the dnsmasq archives
demonstrating how simple defining a seperate pool is in dnsmasq as well.
However I could still find no working examples on how to configure that
pool to distribute a DIFFERENT gateway than the first pool recieves. It
seems to me that the trick might be in 'labeling' the two subnets.
Something like the following:

dhcp-range=set:lan1,192.168.1.50,192.168.0.150

and

dhcp-range=set:lan2,192.168.2.50,192.168.0.150

Note the set:lan1 and set:lan2. And then perhaps later on in the same
configuration something like the following:

server=/lan1/192.168.1.1
server=/lan2/192.168.2.1

But still.. Just blindly attempting this is to see if it works is
something I call the 'dart board method' throwing random commands or
configuration statements at my daemons or utilities in desperate hope
they will begin doing what I wish them to do. Because this is such an
important project, I would still feel very relieved if someone could
demonstrate for me exactly how this might look when done correctly.

Thank you again for all your help,
   Casey Quibell <Lord_Devi>