[Dnsmasq-discuss] Mutliple Subnets - Different Servers - Chaining

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 00:55:56 BST 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Lord_Devi <lorddevi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I appologize the delay in my reply, but the past couple of days have
> been hectic ones for me. In response to Sergei Zhirikov's suggestion of
> using a dhcp relay agent on Subnet 1B, I think that is exactly the way
> to go! Indeed it was the first thing I looked at. However I was
> previously unaware of such functionality and had to wiki the definition.
> I then read what I could of course in the dnsmasq manpage, and googled
> for a while. However I find it easiest to learn from examples, and was
> not able to find any such examples. Just references and vague
> explainations on how to use it.
>
> Trying to setup a relay was beyond my ability.. even though it seemed to
> me the simplest explaination. If someone could provide me with an
> EXAMPLE of what a dnsmasq relay configuration might look like for my
> Subnet 1B in it's existing configuration there I would be endlessly
> grateful.

If you visit http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/ you will see that dnsmasq
is not a relay, but there is a separate program dhcp-helper from the
same author to act as a relay.

dnsmasq's dhcp server supports issuing addresses both directly and
indirectly (via a relay).  For direct dhcp, it will find the ip
address assigned to the interface where the request came in and give
out an address from a dhcp-pool in the same block (defined by the
subnet mask).  For indirect dhcp, the relay tells dnsmasq the address
of the interface where the request was received, all you have to do is
configure a dhcp-pool in the same block as the relay's interface which
faces toward the clients.

Hope this helps.