[Dnsmasq-discuss] Random IP address in the pool with dhcp-script?

Rance Hall ranceh at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 22:23:23 BST 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 7:11 AM, Benjamin Henrion <bh at udev.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to figure out howto give a different IP address,
> preferably random, in a pool, by invoking the dhcp-script.
>
> Any idea how to do that?
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but since the original assignment from
the dhcp pool is reasonably random, and after than dnsmasq works very
hard to offer the same IP address to the same machine based on mac
address or hostname or some other network characteristic that is
configurable.  I'm taking your question to mean is there a way to
force dnsmasq to give out DIFFERENT IP addresses even if we've
processed this machine before.

If this is what you want, then you might need to explain the problem
you are trying to solve, because generally this is undesired behavior,
at least it is on the networks I manage.

Rance