[Dnsmasq-discuss] Random IP address in the pool with dhcp-script?

Benjamin Henrion bh at udev.org
Sat Aug 28 10:18:29 BST 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 11:23 PM, Rance Hall <ranceh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 7:11 AM, Benjamin Henrion <bh at udev.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to figure out howto give a different IP address,
>> preferably random, in a pool, by invoking the dhcp-script.
>>
>> Any idea how to do that?
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> --
>> Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
>

> Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but since the original assignment from
> the dhcp pool is reasonably random, and after than dnsmasq works very
> hard to offer the same IP address to the same machine based on mac
> address or hostname or some other network characteristic that is
> configurable.  I'm taking your question to mean is there a way to
> force dnsmasq to give out DIFFERENT IP addresses even if we've
> processed this machine before.
>
> If this is what you want, then you might need to explain the problem
> you are trying to solve, because generally this is undesired behavior,
> at least it is on the networks I manage.

The way I solved it was the following:

1. Create a series of dnsqmasq config files with a different subnet
2. KIllall dnsmads and start another dnsmasq to loop over them every 120sec
3. Redure the lease time to 2m

A bit hackish, but it works.

--
Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-4148403