[Dnsmasq-discuss] stop-dns-rebind Issue

dnsmasq at rkmorris.us dnsmasq at rkmorris.us
Mon Aug 30 16:38:29 BST 2010

You bet - let me try to provide the details ... but of course yell if you still need more! Also, let me know what you want me to try, and I'll let you know the results.
OK, first a bit of a diagram (to try to be clear with naming, even if some things not are exactly right ... i.e. I call the one box the cable modem (CM) to distinguish, but it's actually a CM + router),
Internet   <-->   [WAN - Cable Modem (CM) - LAN]   <-- Domain = lanA -->   [WAN - Router w/dnsmasq - LAN]   <-- Domain = lanB -->   PC
Hopefully this diagram make sense! BTW, the subnets are lanA = 192.168.1.1/24, and lanB = 192.168.2.1/24
With the "older" version of dnsmasq (i.e. before stop-dns-rebind) here is what happens,1) nslookup localmachine -> dnsmasq appends .lanB, and returns the IP address correctly (for an item on the lanB subnet)2) nslookup machine.lanA -> dnsmasq does the lookup from 192.168.1.1 (first DNS server entry, as I have strict-order turned on). The answer is correct.3) nslookup internet address -> dnsmasq returns the correct answer
Now, with the newer version of dnsmasq (with stop-dns-rebind on), here is the result,1) nslookup localmachine -> dnsmasq appends .lanB, and returns the IP address correctly (for an item on the lanB subnet)2) nslookup machine.lanA -> dnsmasq complains about no records (rebind is blocked, as expected). Sorry, I don't have the exact response, as I'm not at PC right now ... :-)..3) nslookup internet address -> dnsmasq fails, does not reply with an IP address4) nslookup machine.lanA 192.168.1.1 -> dnsmasq responds with the right address (as it gets it from 192.168.1.1, forced by me), but says the name is machine.lanA.lanB (i.e. it seems to append a lanB on).

To be honest, all I am after is for dnsmasq to query 192.168.1.1 (the first DNS server in the list) for requests for the domain lanA (and only this domain), and in this case allow private IP address responses. Make sense?
BTW, above when I say that "dnsmasq responds" I really mean what I get on the command prompt from Windows. Just to avoid any extra confusion ... :-).
Here are a couple things I have tried also, but they didn't seem to work either (though it could have been me messing this up, so don't take this as for sure!),- server=/lanA/192.168.1.1- rebind-domain-ok=lanA
Thanks in advance for your help!
... Russell