[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp-broadcast

Tyler Reese tyler.reese at taqua.com
Tue Sep 21 15:29:33 BST 2010

User error.

I am on RHEL 5, and it comes with dnsmasq-2.45.  The executable is located at /usr/sbin/dnsmasq.

I downloaded dnsmasq-2.55 (to get the dhcp-broadcast option) and ran 'make install'.  That put the 2.55 executable at /usr/local/sbin/dnsmasq.

The file /etc/init.d/dnsmasq is what I am using to start and stop dnsmasq.  That file was referencing /usr/sbin/dnsmasq, and 2.45 didn't know anything about dhcp-broadcast.  I fixed /etc/init.d/dnsmasq so that it references /usr/local/sbin/dnsmasq.  Now, I can just add 'dhcp-broadcast' to /etc/dnsmasq.conf and it works as expected.

It was working from the command line because 'which dnsmasq' showed /usr/local/sbin/dnsmasq.