[Dnsmasq-discuss] Clients bypassing dnsmasq server intermittently

guy at desgames.com guy at desgames.com
Tue Sep 28 22:13:57 BST 2010

I recently set up dnsmasq on an office server and have successfully
configured it to act as an office DNS server. So far it seems to work
fine, the only problem being that after a while my specific computer
(a macbook with OSX 10.6) sometimes starts bypassing the dnsmasq
server and resolving a particular office server hostname using the
real-world IP, and not the local one. I'm not sure if this is
happening for any other people in the office as the server in question
is not yet being accessed by anyone but me. I'm also not sure if this
is happening for another other servers in the office, or just the
specific one I noticed.

Anyway, my dnsmasq,conf file is as follows (just the uncommented lines):

expand-hosts
domain=xxxxxxxx.com
dhcp-range=eth1,192.168.1.100,192.168.1.200,12h
dhcp-option=option:netmask,255.255.255.0
dhcp-option=option:router,192.168.1.1
dhcp-option=option:dns-server,192.168.1.25
dhcp-option=option:domain-name,xxxxxxxx.com
dhcp-option=28,192.168.1.255
dhcp-option=option:domain-search,xxxxxxxx.com
conf-dir=/etc/dnsmasq.d

The behaviour I'm seeing is that when I try to ping or connect to
dev1.xxxxxxxx.com (or just dev1), it should resolve to 192.168.1.26,
which it does....for a while. However, more than once I've discovered
that it's started resolving to the outside IP which is something like
24.x.x.x. The only way to fix it is to drop my wireless connection and
then reconnect. FYI, I've disabled the DHCP server on the wireless
router.

Any idea what's happening?

Thanks,
Guy