[Dnsmasq-discuss] Dnsmasq hard limit

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Sep 27 13:25:14 BST 2010

Gabriel Dungan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've been looking at dnsmasq and pushing to my peers as a replacement
> for a custom distro. The Distro is currently using dnsmasq for dns proxy
> caching but not as a dhcp daemon. The question that comes up, is if the
> Hard limit you talk about in the faq is an actual hard limit, or by the
> use of the flag, one is able to set it to a higher limit.
>
> I know that your earlier versions were locked to 100, the default now is
> 1000, and the verbiage suggests it's settable to anything one could need.
>
> I know the idea of dnsmasq is to provide services for the smaller
> market. However there was a concern that if some one had a medium to
> large business used our distro, if they had 2000 client machines, it
> wasn't going to bomb..  (Hardware, memory, disk space, et al aside)
>
> Would you mind going thru that, and letting me know your opinion on
> such, and what the "Hard" limit is..

This is the limit on number DHCP leases? 1000 is just the default, you
can increase it easily by setting dhcp-lease-max in /etc/dnsmasq.conf,
there's no hard limit. The practical limit depends on how big the lease
file is and how often it's written. On "server" hardware, with plenty of
memory and fast disks, and with reasonably long lease times, much more
than 1000 leases should be fine.