[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq + nat

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 17:21:06 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:07 AM, andu novac <novac.andu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to share an internet connection (pppoe) from one computer
> to another via wifi (wlan0). I had this working fine before I upgraded
> fron 32 to 64 bit Debian. The problem is that the computer on the wifi
> network (the client) can reach some addresses (Google, Yahoo) but not
> others where it hangs forever (Facebook). This setup I'm using is a
> solution I found on the internet.

If the client can reach some addresses, it's not a dhcp issue, and probably
not dns either, so dnsmasq is the last place I'd look.

My crystal ball says you have an MTU problem.  pppoe, like all tunnels,
often reduces the MTU for tunneled traffic.  If PTMU discovery isn't
configured or working right on the client, there could be problems.  Just
turning the interface MTU on the client down by 40 bytes or so may resolve
the issue.