[Dnsmasq-discuss] Simple conf for local hostname resolution only

John Frankish j-frankish at slb.com
Tue May 17 14:28:40 BST 2011

> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 3:14 AM, John Frankish <j-frankish at slb.com> wrote:
> > I haven't found where to search the list so my apologies if this is
> > asked/answered elsewhere.
> >
> > I have a router that acts as a dhcp server and resolves wan addresses, but it
> >does not have the option to resolve local hostnames.
> >
> > I'm looking for a simple dnsmasq configuration that will:
> >
> > 1. Resolve local hostnames and nothing else 2. Assign a hostname to
> > ps3, internet radio and similar that don't have their own hostname
> > (using their mac address I guess)
> >
> > I cannot see the forest for the trees using google, is there an example of
> > the above somewhere?
>
> Don't create a dhcp-pool
>
> Use /etc/ethers to assign names to each mac-address.
>
> Set up /etc/resolv.conf to check dnsmasq first, then your upstream recursive
> DNS.  dnsmasq is smart enough not to forward queries to itself.

Thanks

What do you mean by "Don't create a dhcp-pool"?

"/etc/ethers" OK, understood

" Set up /etc/resolv.conf to check dnsmasq first" - you mean enter the ip address of the machine running dnsmasq?

Maybe I' m being dumb here, but where/how is dnsmasq going to get the local hostnames without me entering them in /etc/hosts on the machine running dnsmasq?