[Dnsmasq-discuss] Simple conf for local hostname resolution only

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Tue May 17 19:08:53 BST 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 8:28 AM, John Frankish <j-frankish at slb.com> wrote:

>> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 3:14 AM, John Frankish <j-frankish at slb.com> wrote:
>> > I haven't found where to search the list so my apologies if this is
>> > asked/answered elsewhere.
>> >
>> > I have a router that acts as a dhcp server and resolves wan addresses, but it
>> >does not have the option to resolve local hostnames.
>> >
>> > I'm looking for a simple dnsmasq configuration that will:
>> >
>> > 1. Resolve local hostnames and nothing else 2. Assign a hostname to
>> > ps3, internet radio and similar that don't have their own hostname
>> > (using their mac address I guess)
>> >
>> > I cannot see the forest for the trees using google, is there an example of
>> > the above somewhere?
>>
>> Don't create a dhcp-pool
>>
>> Use /etc/ethers to assign names to each mac-address.
>>
>> Set up /etc/resolv.conf to check dnsmasq first, then your upstream recursive
>> DNS.  dnsmasq is smart enough not to forward queries to itself.
>
> Thanks
>
> What do you mean by "Don't create a dhcp-pool"?

Sorry, I meant "dhcp-range".  Since your other computer is handling
dhcp, you shouldn't configure dhcp support in dnsmasq.

> "/etc/ethers" OK, understood
>
> " Set up /etc/resolv.conf to check dnsmasq first" - you mean enter the ip address of the machine running dnsmasq?

Generally the loopback address, as in

server 127.0.0.1

> Maybe I' m being dumb here, but where/how is dnsmasq going to get the local hostnames without me entering them in /etc/hosts on the machine running dnsmasq?

Sorry, you're right.  /etc/ethers would work if dnsmasq was also the
dhcp server.  You do want /etc/hosts (or the dnsmasq hostsfile
option), and then you are setting up name/ipaddr pairs, not
name/macaddr.  Only the dhcp server knows the ipaddr/macaddr mapping.