[Dnsmasq-discuss] only static hosts and add dhcp-rangefile

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri Jun 17 13:22:28 BST 2011

Christof Bruyland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm started using DNSMasq as our DHCP and TFTP Server for our PXE environment.
> We only use the DHCP Server with static IP mappings, relayed through a DHCP relay agent.
> I've added following in the configuration file:
>
> dhcp-range=10.0.25.0,10.0.25.0,255.255.255.0
> [...]
> dhcp-host=02:01:0A:00:19:14,hbds1020,10.0.25.20
> [...]
>
> This is working as expected, but is it possible to shorten the dhcp-range, because I don't want to use dynamic IP assignments.

dhcp-range=10.0.25.0,static,255.255.255.0

is what you want then.

> In the manpage I've read that I can use a dhcp-hostfile, that doesn't require to restart the daemon.
> Can this be implemented for dhcp-rangefile as well? Or does this already exist?

It doesn't exist, and probably won't be implemented, for a couple of
reasons: 1) Adding new subnets is rare, there's not really any reason
not to do a restart for that. 2) There are corner   cases where it could
fail, think, adding the first dhcp-range, or adding a dhcp-range for
IPv6 in later versions. Both of those need new root-only sockets to be
opened.