[Dnsmasq-discuss] Any plans on adding ability to store cachetodisk?

Nicholas Weaver nweaver at gmail.com
Tue May 15 21:24:25 BST 2012

On May 15, 2012, at 1:09 PM, Timothy Madden wrote:
> And you were right, using
> 	dig @8.8.8.8 ...
> returned about 54ms for www.loveparty.ch, and 38 for www.google.ro, which is
> so, so fast for me! But than again I would not like to just count on that
> (an external DNS provider), instead of setting up my own cache. Besides,
> with a good cache I do not need the external DNS provider, right ?

dnsmask is not designed to be a local recursive resolver: it is a caching forwarder than forwards request to a real recursive resolver and (when it understand things sufficiently) acts as a local cache.

If you want something local that handles the resolution process, rather than relying on an external recursive resolver, you should run Bind or Unbound locally, rather than dnsmasq.