[Dnsmasq-discuss] Any plans on adding ability to store cachetodisk?

Timothy Madden terminatorul at gmail.com
Thu May 24 15:32:56 BST 2012

Nicholas Weaver wrote:

> On May 15, 2012, at 1:09 PM, Timothy Madden wrote:
>> And you were right, using
>> dig @8.8.8.8 ...
>> returned about 54ms for www.loveparty.ch, and 38 for www.google.ro, which
>> is so, so fast for me! But than again I would not like to just count on
>> that (an external DNS provider), instead of setting up my own cache.
>> Besides, with a good cache I do not need the external DNS provider, right
>> ?
>

> dnsmask is not designed to be a local recursive resolver: it is a caching
> forwarder than forwards request to a real recursive resolver and (when it
> understand things sufficiently) acts as a local cache.
>

> If you want something local that handles the resolution process, rather
> than relying on an external recursive resolver, you should run Bind or
> Unbound locally, rather than dnsmasq.

I found out my problem was I had "wins" (for Samba name resolution) before
"dns" in my /etc/nsswitch.conf file, and that was making all my name lookups
take 10s of seconds (even minutes), despite my dig command showing lookups
under 3s without my cache, and under 1s with dnsmasque.

So I guess I do not really need to save the cache anymore, although I still
think it would be a nice addition anyway.

Thank you,
Timothy Madden