[Dnsmasq-discuss] IPV6 preference

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Wed May 8 18:25:05 BST 2013

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 05:43:01AM -0700, Ray Klassen wrote:
> Is there a way of configuring dnsmasq to always return an ipv6
> address on a DNS request if there are both ipv4 and ipv6 available?

I wouldn't think so. A client either asks for an A record (ipv4) or
AAAA (ipv6), it does not ask for "an address".

> I've got an an ipv6 tunnel that, for certain sites, I'd like all
> traffic to be directed to. Problem is (i think) that DNS is round
> robining addresses and sometimes returns an ipv4 address which

No, as above, the client only gets A if it asks for A. That said,
resolver clients most likely can be configured to prefer ipv6 over
ipv4. See the documentation for your resolver(s).

> routes traffic away from the tunnel. I suppose I could force this
> using a hosts file, but the addresses for that site are pretty
> dynamic or so I'm given to understand.

Maybe you want to point to a remote server for those names:

server=/certain.sites.example/2001:db8::1ce:c01d